Monday, April 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Pete!

The hubby turns 26 today. His present is a cat, Skittles, who we got about 3 weeks ago from PAWS Chicago (a very awesome no-kill shelter). I think that he was expecting a techno-toy in addition to cat, but he didn't get one. Although I am thinking about giving him a card that says that he can get a Windows Home Server. His Media PC about bit the dust over the weekend, but he brought it back to life.

The weekend didn't quite wrap up the way I was expecting. I ran out of steam on Saturday. I still managed to hit 19k words, but I didn't want to push it. I think that I am just going to push through with the sub-par/glorified outline writing until the end and then go chapter by chapter to fix it up. I'm loving one of my story lines, which is funny because it was the secondary storyline initially. I'm about 70% done with that story line and only about 15% done with the other main one. I'll probably keep going with it until the story lines merge, which isn't very far off. At that point I will *have* to do the other story line. I like it, I'm just unsure how to get them from point A to point B with out seeming too contrived.


So, I don't know if anyone else has the same problem, but recently all I can think about/want to talk about is my novel--how it's going and the worries I have about getting to point B within a marketable word count. I think the hubby is getting annoyed by hearing me talk about it...lol. I made him listen to the first chapter, which he really liked, but it was like pulling teeth to get him to let me read it to him. I guess he's not going to be a beta reader :-P

3 tidbits:

Andrea Coulter said...

I understand about sometimes having part of a story that you put off writing. What I finally realized, though, is that if I'm putting off scenes because other scenes/story lines are more interesting, it means that I need to re-plot so that the scenes I'm avoiding become scenes I can't wait to write. My sister/critique partner commented that she can tell what scenes I really loved writing, because they're fantastic compared to other more perfunctory scenes.

when I need to babble about my book, I go to my sister, who luckily is very interested in my writing. It's important to have at least one person who you can bounce ideas off of, because I've learned that when I write in a vacuum, I don't catch problems until much later than I should. Is there a critique circle you could join?

Lauren said...

Yey! My first comment! :-D

I found a craigslist ad from a person trying to start a critique group that I responded to, but I've not heard back. I'm planning on posting my own ad if I don't hear back soon.

I know *why* I don't want to write the one story line--it's feeling awfully contrived. I just have to figure out how to make the character's life suck a little bit more :-P. I need to replot the whole line, and might end up making it more minor.

That's awesome that you and your sister are critique buddies :)

Simon Haynes said...

It's worth joining Absolute Write if you haven't already - share your work, reading buddies, advice from Real Live (TM) agent, etc, etc.

And happy birthday to your husband ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails